CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 3, 2008

Canning with Mama (Grandma)

So this summer has been pretty busy with my dad retiring from teaching in the school district, to all my boys birthdays in June plus my anniversary, while at the same time at the end of June my parent's kitchen was being remodeled and all the family vacations, then my sisters wedding in July and major family reunion just before her wedding, then a couple days after my sisters wedding my mom fell and shattered her cheek bone which put her out of work for about a month, while at the same time I have been canning up a storm with my sisters and sister-in-laws. We have bottled over 200 varieties of vegetables and fruits for storage, including green beans, peaches, apples, corn, salsa, tomatoes, and zucchini pineapple (sounds weird but is really good- It tastes like pineapple but has the texture of a pear.) We have had fun, but man it tires me out even more since I have been pregnant. I thought that I would show you a couple of pictures of my boys helping my mom get started on some of the canning.
Above is Daxton and Corbin in their aprons helping Mama get the peaches ready to be peeled and put into bottles.
Aren't they just cute!! And they are my big helpers. Let's see how big of helpers when the baby comes.
Here is Corbin with Mama getting the apples peeled, cored and sliced to be made into either applesauce or apple pie filling. Both taste yummy!!

We didn't can as much as we did last year, but it sure kept us all busy for about 3 months this summer. I have really enjoyed doing this, especially when I have been able to spend time with my mom and sisters. We always have a good time and it also gives our kids the opportunity to play together.



0 comments: